WordPress.org vs free WordPress.com – Brief Comparison
Did you recognize that WordPress.com and WordPress.org are literally two completely different platforms? U
Our goal is highlight the key variations between WordPress.com vs WordPress.org, thus you’ll opt for the proper platform for your desires.
Self hosted WordPress.org vs free WordPress.com
As selecting the proper platform is crucial for your online success, we’ve created the foremost complete comparison of WordPress.com vs WordPress.org ( text comparison, table-based comparison, and a full infographic).
Having aforementioned that, let’s take a glance at the variations between self-hosted WordPress.org vs WordPress.com.
WordPress.com vs WordPress.org Comparison
The best way to perceive the distinction between WordPress.com vs WordPress.org is to require a glance at each platform individually.
WordPress.org aka “the real WordPress”, is the common web site platform that you just have detected all the great things concerning.
It is open source and 100% free for anyone to use. All you need is a name and web hosting. this can be why it’s additionally stated as self-hosted WordPress.
Below are the pros and cons of using the self-hosted WordPress.org to make your web site or web log.
Advantages of WordPress.org
With WordPress.org, you have got full management of your web site. you’re liberated to do something you would like and customize it as much as you would like. Here are a number of the advantages of selecting WordPress.org to make your web site, and also the reason why it’s the go-to selection.
- It is free and super simple to use.
- You own your web site and all its data. Your web site won’t be turned off as a result of somebody decides that it’s against their terms of service (as long as you’re not doing one thing illegal). you’re in full management.
- You can add free, paid, and custom WordPress plugins / apps to your web site.
- You can use customize your web site style as required. you can add any free or paid WordPress theme that you simply wish. you’ll additionally produce fully custom styles or modify something that you simply wish.
- You can truly make money from your WordPress web site by running your own ads while not sharing revenue with anyone.
- You can use powerful tools like Google Analytics for custom analytics and pursuit.
- You can use self-hosted WordPress to form a web store to sell digital or physical merchandise, settle for MasterCard payments, and deliver / ship the products directly from your web site.
- You can additionally produce membership sites and sell memberships for premium content, courses, etc and build a web community around your web site.
Limitations of WordPress.org
There are a really few cons of using the self-hosted WordPress.org site.
- Like all websites, you will want web hosting. this can be wherever your web site files are stored on the net. Initially, the value is around $3-$10 per month. but as your web site grows and gets additional traffic, the online hosting prices will increase obviously, then again you’d be creating enough money to cover the prices.
- You are responsible for updates. you’ll simply update your WordPress website by merely clicking on the update button (1-click), therefore it’s not an excessive amount of work.
- You are responsible for backups. Thankfully, there are plenty of WordPress backup plugins that permit you setup automatic backups.
- The real cost of WordPress.org web site varies based on what you’re attempting to make (simple journal, portfolio web site, e-commerce store, membership website, etc.). There are also different factors like free templates vs premium templates, free plugins vs premium plugins, etc.
On a low budget, you’ll build your web site for as little as $46 per annum. For ninety nine of users, our recommendation is often to use WordPress.org.
WordPress.com is a hosting service created by the co-founder of WordPress, Matt Mullenweg. due to the same founder, typically users confuse WordPress.com with the favored WordPress.org software system.
The WordPress.com hosting service has five plans:
Free – very limited.
Personal – $36 per annum
Premium – $99 per annum
Business – $299 per annum
VIP – beginning at $5000 per month
Let’s take a glance at the pros and cons of WordPress.com.
Advantages of WordPress.com
The free WordPress.com platform is a good selection for hobby bloggers and people beginning a blog for his or her family. Here are a number of the advantages of mistreatment WordPress.com:
- It’s free for up to 3GB of space. at the moment you may ought to switch to a paid arrange for extra space. (Personal plan $36 /year offers you 6GB, Premium plan $99/year offers you 13GB storage, or Business plan for $299/year for unlimited storage).
- You will not have to worry about updates or backups. WordPress.com can lookout of that
Limitations of WordPress.com
There are many limitations of free WordPress.com that differentiate it from WordPress.org. Here are a number of the disadvantages of using WordPress.com:
- They place ads on all free websites. therefore your users can see ads, and you don’t make money from it. If you don’t wish your users to examine their ads, then you can upgrade to a paid plan (starting from $36 per year).
- You are NOT allowed to sell ads on your web site. If you run a high traffic web site, then you’ll apply for their advertising program known as Word Ads wherever you share revenue with them. Premium and Business plan users can use Word Ads right away.
- You cannot upload plugins. Free plan users get intrinsically Jetpack options pre-activated. Business plan users can install from a variety of compatible plugins ($299 / year). WordPress.com high-up program permits you to install plugins, and it starts from $5000 per month.
- You cannot transfer custom themes. Free arrange users will solely install from the restricted free themes collection. Premium and business plan users may choose premium themes. There are limited customization choices for the free version. Premium and Business plan users can use custom CSS.
- You are restricted to their stats. you can not add Google Analytics or install the other powerful tracking platform. Business plan users can install Google Analytics.
- They can delete your web site at anytime if they suppose it violates their Terms of Service.
- Your web site can show a powered by WordPress.com link. It may be removed by upgrading to the Business plan.
- WordPress.com doesn’t provide any e-commerce options or integrated payment gateways.
- You cannot build membership websites with WordPress.com.
WordPress.com vs WordPress.org – Summary
The best way to accept the differences between WordPress.com vs WordPress.org is that the analogy of renting a house vs. owning a house.
WordPress.com is comparable to renting a house. you have got restricted power and management over what you can and can’t do.
WordPress.org is like owning a house. where you have got full management, nobody will kick you out, and you’ll be able to do something that you simply need.
The confusion created by the similar domains: WordPress.com vs WordPress.org is sort of unfortunate for beginners. There’s a great deal of history behind the decisions however WordPress.com and WordPress.org are connected.
Our hope is that you just found this text useful in understanding the variations between WordPress.org and WordPress.com.
We wish you all the most effective with your web site and hope that you just chose the correct platform: WordPress.org.